Club History

History of the Mission Granite Curling Club

Starting in 1953, the curlers of Mission acquired land and started to build a curling rink near the corner of Taulbut and 7th. They were curling in their new building by 1954. As this was the only curling rink in the mid Fraser Valley, curlers from Abbotsford, Chilliwack and Maple Ridge would come to Mission to curl. For many years, during the Christmas holidays, the sheet dividers were taken out and recreational skaters were allowed on the ice as there was no skating rink in Mission. In 1967, a barn of the Mission Fair Grounds caught fire and the curling rink which was next to the barn, burned down. The City made an agreement with the curlers to build a new curling rink in exchange for the land (2 acres) on which the old curling rink resided. A referendum was passed by the City to build a new leisure complex which would include both skating and curling rinks. The new curling rink was operational in December 1968. In the early 2000’s, the Mission curlers had to share their curling ice with skaters but with the new additions to the leisure centre, the curling rink returned to the sole use of curlers. The Mission Curling Rink is an excellent 4 sheet recreational facility which is enjoyed by many. The Curling Centre has a number of leagues for juniors, seniors, ladies, men and mixed teams.


Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in /home/missionc/public_html/wp-content/plugins/viral-social-slider/viral-social-slider.php on line 487